Re: [teacherartexchange] Smart Art Awards & Exhibits

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 13:59:06 PDT

  oh how I love Marvin's wonderful advice.
His list of "smart awards" is just what I've been trying to compose.
I guess after watching the Oscars this year, I started to think long
and hard about "best." And I started thinking about how we dilute
the real achievements.
The kids seem to love the ribbons and awards. So I feel compelled to
offer the awards, but I want to encourage the best potential or even
the one time thing that should be encouraged because who knows how
the encouragement will lead to something?

Today I was looking at photos from a class I don't teach and found
something I thought extraordinary. I want to find that student
tomorrow and give my regard. To me that is the best reward. I know
this student will be encouraged simply because I sought him/her
out . I try to do this often-----Look over the work produced in
classes that are not mine and and let some kid know I value the
thought and effort.

I urge all of you to view Marvin's suggestions. He always gives us
the thoughts we need to think about and gives the best practice for
initiating the thoughts.

Thank you Marvin,

Patty