Re: [teacherartexchange] "Text" in clay

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 11:00:31 PDT

You asked:

>I would like to include text, simple words or phrases, in a clay slab
>project. The letters should be 1/2 inch or less. Can anyone point me toward a
>source for letter stamps appropriate for using with clay?
> Carolyn in Virginia Beach

I have seen sets of rubber stamp letters for ink stamping at local craft store (Michaels). They work if clay is not too hard.

I have made my own from clay and bisque fired them. I first draw, press, and carve the impression in the surface of thick clay. Allow it become almost dry. Then press soft clay into the impression to make the individual letter stamps. Stick a clay handle on each letter. Bisque fire the stamps. Label the handle top with a felt tip.

What if you have the students design their own stamps for the letters or for the whole words that they need? Could they do it as homework?
Marvin