Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] "Text" in clay


From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 07:14:37 PDT

Hi Carolyn and all,

I used metal cast type (used in printing). I was lucky - an area
printer donated the old metal type. You might want to call around and
ask if any of the older print businesses have some? There is an
antique mall near here that has a booth that sells the type. You can
get it in various sizes. It last forever - I used in to stamp print
borders in various projects, too.

Here is a source in Canada that sells it:
You could email Don (Don at and tell him what you want. I
don't know the difference between the different kinds listed at the
top. I am guessing that mine is hand set?

Maybe an old department store would have some old type used for making
signs? The department store I worked at (in 1980s) had a variety of
different sizes of type.

I know some schools have/had the old type too.... Check around. You
might get lucky. Now that everything is technology driven their old
type might be collecting dust

Judy Decker

To unsubscribe go to