Re: [teacherartexchange] non-chemical printmaking

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 11:39:04 PDT

Greetings Claire and all,

Carborundum prints are neat. You can even use water base block
printing ink for them. Just spray the plate lightly with Pam before
inking. To make a carborundum print - mix a fine grade with acrylic
medium. I used a medium fine (don't remember the grit now). I put the
mix in small squeeze bottles and the students drew their image onto
the Plexiglas. They put their drawing under the plate. I did this with
high school and with seventh grade (seventh grade did portraits - and
could even put the actual photocopy of person under the plate if they
wished - this really helped those who were not as confident with
drawing). We did monoprint colors on one print - painting the plate
with Createx and printing over the black print This had to be done on
an oil base print since the paper had to be soaked again). We also did
Chine colle - place tissue paper on the inked plate - dusting lightly
with powdered wheat paste (that is what I had) - then placing damp
paper and running through press. Student also had the option of hand
coloring a print with watercolors.

You can spread the mix with a brush - and can scrape section with
those rubber nibbed tools (with angled end and pointed end).

When completely dry - ink intaglio style and print on etching press
with damp paper. We started using the oil base etching ink but ran
out. I found the block printing ink worked just as good (and clean up
sure went faster).

I have a lesson plan for this method that I will get on Incredible Art
Department soon.

I had success using water base block printing ink to print Plexiglas
engravings too. You can make simple engraving tools with nails and
dowel rods.

Judy Decker