[teacherartexchange] Illuminated Middle Ages - Website by themes

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 05:13:27 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Linda Bee posted this to Net Gold list.

Illuminated Middle Ages:
http://www.moyenageenlumiere.com/themes/index.cfm?sw=EN
Site is available in English- German and French:
http://www.moyenageenlumiere.com/

From the site:
"The Illuminated Middle Ages database presents several hundred
recently digitized illuminated texts from French national library
collections. While the full collection, in even higher resolution, is
available for purchase on DVD-ROM, this web site gives access to the
entire database. Only a portion of the full collection has been
translated into English for the web site, but visitors may also view
the French-language galleries in the site, where a dozen texts from
each of the ten themes are presented daily."

Texts date from the year 500 through the 1400s.

Themes:
Time and Space
The Legal Imagination
Animals
Knowledge and Education
Mankind, the Family, and Kinship
Showing the Invisible
Work and Daily life
Faces of God
Signs and Forms of Power
A World in the Margins

I will be adding a link to this site to the Medieval Manuscripts links page.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/