[teacherartexchange] Frank Auerbach - German-born British Painter (Expressive!)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 04:42:27 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I thought I would introduce you to Frank Auerbach:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/auerbach_frank.html

Several works - plus biography ( note the heads - just enough detail
- very expressive):
http://www.leninimports.com/auerbach_biog.html

Interview with artist:
http://www.leninimports.com/auerbach_inte.html

Gallery of his work:
http://www.leninimports.com/auerbach_gall.html

Additional work:
http://www.artnet.com/artist/1737/frank-auerbach.html

I learned about Frank Auerbach from this New York Times article (you
will need to subscribe to get the article):
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/04/arts/design/04chan.html?th&emc=th
Recent Works by Frank Auerbach in an Exhibition at the Marlborough Gallery
By MICHAEL KIMMELMAN
Published: April 4, 2006

Excerpt:
"Mr. Auerbach paints, then scrapes paint away, then repaints.
Thickness here is not the usual vain shorthand for "expressiveness,"
but the consequence of a regular process by which he can arrive, as if
suddenly, at the equivalent of a likeness."

Enjoy your surf,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/