Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Frank Auerbach - German-born British Painter (Expressive!)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 04:42:27 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I thought I would introduce you to Frank Auerbach:

Several works - plus biography ( note the heads - just enough detail
- very expressive):

Interview with artist:

Gallery of his work:

Additional work:

I learned about Frank Auerbach from this New York Times article (you
will need to subscribe to get the article):
Recent Works by Frank Auerbach in an Exhibition at the Marlborough Gallery
Published: April 4, 2006

"Mr. Auerbach paints, then scrapes paint away, then repaints.
Thickness here is not the usual vain shorthand for "expressiveness,"
but the consequence of a regular process by which he can arrive, as if
suddenly, at the equivalent of a likeness."

Enjoy your surf,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources