Re: [teacherartexchange] questions about linocuts

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 16:33:49 PDT

On Apr 3, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Jerry Vilenski wrote:

Jerry gives excellent advice:

> Older linoleum needs to be warmed before
> carving, because I believe there is linseed oil in the
> linoleum compound that drys out over time. I use a
> heat gun set on low heat and it seems to work well,
> even on linoleum that is several years old.

My students worked on unmounted battleship linoleum
and heated it slightly with a warm iron as they carved.

> As far as printing goes, you really need to
> "condition" your printing ink before attempting to
> print with it.

> You have to roll the ink until it
> becomes "tacky", which you can discern by the look and
> sound of the ink as you roll the brayer over it.
> Experience will tell you what to look for, but the
> texture of the ink looks even and the sound of the
> brayer becomes louder as the ink dries slightly.

Here is a link to my eight graders working on prints:
http://www.taospaint.com/ColorPrinting.html
                                     Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net