[teacherartexchange] barbie doll show: judy

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 14:29:56 PDT

Thanks again, Judy, for the link to the NY Times. I am
still getting the art dispatches. I think these are
great. I had a kid tell me today that my class is the
only one where he is learning anything. Had not heard
this in about...well...not in a long time!!
We are at a HS in Columbus and in the NYT on April 2
was an article about the Barbie show downtown right
here at our own palace theater. Barbie is a kind of
Sesame Street Live type thing where the toys come to
life and children enjoy once again believing their
toys are real.
Actually one of my AP students was at this show
yesterday!
We talked about whether the Barbie influence is good,
bad or lasting. How she intrudes on my life when I
don't like how i look.
We talked about how much Mattell has to gain (8
million, I think the article stated.)
Anyway, a very good day. A very relevant day. Judy,
you and this group have made my job so much more
interesting and fulfilling. For me and for my students
as well.
Beth H