Re: [teacherartexchange] summer job

---------

sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 18:33:41 PST

Elizabeth Heisey wrote:

>Would anyone share summer job ideas you have enjoyed
>in the past?

For years I worked at a summer arts camp. It was a great program--kids
took 4 classes per day (each class being about an hour), and each
"session" was 2 weeks. There were 3 sessions per summer. I usually had
one "class" of 3rd-5th graders and three classes of 5th-8th graders.

Last year, which was my 5th year at the camp, and the second with a new
director, the numbers were just totally skewed.... There were TONS of
little kids and the 1st-3rd classes were large, and there were very few
older kids. VERY few.... Those of us teaching those age groups found
ourselves--at the last minute--with no students, and therefore no classes.

It was very frustrating because it's a camp where you have to commit
each FALL for the next summer (with course descriptions, etc.) and as it
turned out, I had one very small class first thing in the morning, and
one very small class last thing in the afternoon, with nothing to do in
the middle of the day (and no pay for it). By the second day--with
other teachers in the same boat--I decided to quit and my students went
into the other classes for their age group.

I didn't apply there this fall (for this summer) but up until then it
had been a really good experience, and the pay was surprisingly good.
I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing this summer, but I'll have to do
something! :-)

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net