[teacherartexchange] Art Show Fundraiser idea from Nicole Brisco

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 07:55:05 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Many of you have met Nicole Brisco at NAEA convention. She had an art
room on Incredible Art Department and is a contributing author each
month to SchoolArts Magazine.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/artroom/Nicole/Nicole.htm

Nicole sent me this idea as a fundraiser for your art program.

A Simple Fundraiser at Art Show time.

A couple of years ago I tried this and it works great for all involved.
At our art show we give a variety of awards by category, multiple purchase
awards sponsored by clubs on campus (they buy for 100.00 from the student,
give a framed certificate, and frame....we currently have about 50 framed
works around the school now...our admin building started collecting too)
The one I started was a Peoples' Choice Award. Basically all I do is make
a half sheet ticket on card stock with a space for student name and artwork
title. I ask each student to sell 10 at $1 each. They do it for extra
credit or you could make it a grade if it is OK with your school. Right
now about 75% of my students participate in doing it and usually ask for
all 10. I take the money up and it is up to the students/parents/or who
ever buys them to return the tickets. I count them up and present an
award at the art show reception. This year the kids sold about $1000
worth and I was out no money.
OK, so it could be a popularity contest (but it has not happened yet), the
kids get extra credit....the main thing is that I have about an extra
$1000 to buy great supplies and it takes no time at all to do it. Just
thought I would share.

All my best,
Nicole