[teacherartexchange] Having a food drive? Do "Canstructions"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 06:31:47 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Barb Reser sent me this link.
http://www.canstruction.org/

Canstruction:

Architects and engineers compete to see whose team can build the most
spectacular structure using little more than cans of food at
Canstruction, the 13th annual NYC Design and Build competition in New
York. The exhibit at New York Design Center is open to the public. At
the end of the competition on 23 November 2005, the 130,000 cans that
are part of the exhibit will be given to the Food Bank of New York
City.

Canstruction is a national charity and has similar competitions each
year in over 66 cities throughout the United States and Canada. For
more information, visit http://www.canstruction.org/

Pictures are on web sight under 'Competition".

Those of you having food drives might want to let the kiddies have
some fun with the cans. Of course you won't get enough cans of any one
color to do anything as elaborate as the pictures on the Canstruction
site.... but they might be able to do some fun architectural designs -
or non-objective. I know already which of my former six grade classes
would win. I had a food drive with sixth grade when I did my "Empty
Bowl" project (making two bowls and donating one to the Empty Bowl
Luncheon).

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/