Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Online teacher resource question

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 11:37:50 PDT

On Apr 30, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Pam wrote:

> Kathy:
> I find that my students are growing by leaps and bounds when they are
> made accountable for their own learning. Researching, writing, and
> publishing seems to inspire them to be accountable. Don't you think
> this is because it lends an air of professionalism to what they are
> doing? They aren't simply writing papers to write papers, but they are
> identifying a problem and solving it in a way that contributes to the
> art education community.
> Maybe there is a research project in here for those of us who are
> involved with teacher prep programs. We can do that in our spare time.
> ;-)
> Pam
> >>I also teach undergraduates (an art methods and materials course for
> future classroom teachers)  I have begun to create writing assignments
> which could be of general interest to the art education community and
> require that the work be posted (at present on a listserv and at an
> art education website.)  I found that the students were excited to be
> "publishing" even in a small way. And there is always a need for good,
> new web content.  Great idea!
> kathy douglas --- <<
What a great discussion. I don't teach college students, but I
interview them for jobs. I find a real lack in the kind of skills you
are addressing. I don't know about the rest of the country, but my
district is very hot on "student directed" learning. I interview too
many that don't seem to have a concept of this approach and way too
many that are very limited in computer skills. Next year I will be
initiating a new digital design class. My whole concept is that the
computer screen is a new format. The whole course will be about
publishing to the web and I'm thinking that my students will write and
publish how they have discovered the computer screen as a format as
worthy as a canvas. I'll be asking them to share their solutions and
their learning.
Surely college students can be asked the same questions ---
identifying the problems to solve -- they will be the ones carrying on
> Those of us in the classroom are very short of time for doing
> research.  Graduate and undergraduate students have much richness to
> offer, thanks to the ties of the Internet.
We need to give them the opportunity to do that and not mire them in
rehashing the same old stuff. I'm in grad school myself and I hate
the requirements of the "papers." There is so little opportunity
for my thinking - it's all research and rehash and just time and paper
wasted on goobly-gook.

kudos to you two for thinking about ways to make the thinking

To unsubscribe go to