Re: [teacherartexchange] Blacklight Project

---------

From: Lydia Horvath (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 13:09:53 PDT

I have done this with jr. high, but maybe 5th graders could do it too. It's the project where you do a name or word in bubble letters (or even a shape-based design) on a "pie piece" wedge of paper (1/6 of a circle); go over in sharpie so it shows on both sides; then trace it on a circle, flipping each time, to create a "kalidescope" effect. I then had them paint these with flourescent tempera (each letter would be the same color all the way around) and had them paint the negative space black. I bet they would be really cool under the black lights! A neat thing that students like about the project is that you really don't notice that the design is made of letters in the finished product.
-Lydia in Toledo