[teacherartexchange] Velasquez "WebQuest" to adapt

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 05:25:58 PDT

Greetings Jan and All,

I surfed this morning for the name of the "slave" this time and found
a unit plan:
http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/score/juan/juansg2.html
This is activity 2.

"This unit, designed to supplement the teaching of I, Juan de Pareja
by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino, consists of five activities that
explore the the art that Juan de Pareja and Diego Velasquez created,
the historical period in which they lived, and the places in Spain and
Italy to which they traveled."

The Spanish teacher could adapt it. Have students learn a little about
Velasquez and some of his contemporaries.

I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?endeca=1&isbn=0374435251&itm=77

early 17th century Spain as it was affected by the Catholic Church and
the court of Phillip IV. The life of the painter Velasquez is
described through the eyes of his slave Juan de Pareja who also has
aspirations as a painter, but is forbidden by law to engage in the
arts. The story brings the whole era alive for readers, especially in
relation to the influence of the Church and the impact of the exchange
of cultures between Europe and Africa."

Standard: 7.11

Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Year: 1984
ISBN: 0374435251
In/Out of Print: in
Genre: Historical Fiction
Language: English

Here is a portrait of Juan by Velasquez:
http://eeweems.com/goya/velasquez.html
Page show connections between Goya and Velasquez

WebMuseum:
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/velazquez/

Velasquez - images and brief biography:
http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/Velazquez.html

Biographical information (no images)
http://www.webcolombia.com/velasquez/

Artcyclopedia:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/velazquez_diego.html
Artcyclopedia whould show contemporaries.
Spanish Painters:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/nationalities/Spanish.html
Baroque Art:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/baroque.html

If she wants to make a PowerPoint - direct her to Mark Hardin, Carol
Gerten and Olga's Gallery. I don't recommend them for student surfing
at all - too many annoying ads now.

If your Spanish teacher wants something "click and go" online - have
her email me directly with what she is looking for - and I will put a
page on Incredible Art Department for her students. I would need to
know what grade level this is for.
The book itself was listed as grades 6 through 8 - but that web quest
was high school. I would need to know what the activity is that she
wants the students to do (what would her objective be for the
WebQuest?). I would also need to know how soon so I could get it done
in advance so she can unblock any .com sites that may be blocked by
your server.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--