[teacherartexchange] Art Show Awards - These worked

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 18:51:30 PDT

Greetings Teacher Art Exchange,

I was curious.... I did the old trick of searching Google - I entered
TeacherArtExchange Art Show Awards.... and Voila! a past thread came
up. Go to April 2001:
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/archive/Apr01/thread.html#237

http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/archive/Apr01/

We had certificates for everyone the first two years - and ribbons for
the award winners - with big rosette ribbons for the "Choice" Awards.
Then we changed so that ALL students got a ribbon (we had a different
color for each level - white for elementary - a tan for middle school
and an orange for high school). The students REALLY liked this. Each
one of us gave our own signed certificates/notices, too.

This is my old post about our clay awards. The students couldn't wait
to get to the show to see if they won one of these. We had wonderful
turn-outs.

From JDecker April 2001

.....This is what we have done for art show awards for six years--this
year will be our seventh. We (now the high school students again) make
clay awards. We have merit awards (that area art teachers select -- 30
merits per teacher), Principal's Choice, Superintendent's Choice, and
School Board Recognition (for each building).

The first two years we used a student created linoleum stamp (one
"Merit" with paw print, one "Great" with Bull dog head-that we wrote
the special awards on the back). We have since had stamps made for the
awards (the special awards have bulldog heads --merits still have the
paw print). We had metal stamps made so they would last longer. The
awards do not cost the school any additional money now (after the cost
of the stamps several years ago). This year our high school students
are making all of them (they made them the first two years when I was
at the high school --after that it was "my job" to make all of them -
After all...the medals were my idea in the first place - my design).

We stamp the clay slabs---cut out the circles ---bisque fire
them---spray paint them black---then rub antique gold Rub 'n Buff on
them ( I purchase the rub 'n buff, spray paint and ribbon to tie them
onto the art work). Students really do treasure them.
To make it easy - the merit awards were/are the size of mushroom/small
tomato sauce cans. The Choice awards were/are the size of tuna fish
cans. I have no idea if they still use these. It really didn't take
that long to make them. I made over 150 merit awards each year - and
around 25 of the Choice awards. Occasionally an award would get broken
in taking down the show and transporting work - but not too many.
There were always plenty of replacements on hand.

Note: Set up for the show was Friday (we got release time starting
around 1:00 to set up. Area teachers judged the show - administrators
and school board made their selections Friday (show was all day
Saturday - with take down Saturday evening).

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/