[teacherartexchange] How to reach the non-traditional art student (MS - HS)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 10:40:06 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Kathy Douglas posted this article to TAB Choice list:
Art and ideas: Reaching nontraditional art students
Art Education, Sep 2001 by Andrews, Barbara Henriksen
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3772/is_200109/ai_n8991052

Everything that Barbara writes about is true....and her solutions
work. Her way does motivate students to learn. The only thing
different with my middle school program is that I did teach units as a
class. I am not an organized person and know I could not have managed
six different centers going in my room at one time. I did have choices
within my units. The goal of my program was to reach the kids who
felt they were "not good in art". I designed a program where all
students could succeed -- and knowledge gained in my class would help
(and DID help) them in core classes. Many of you do this too.

Read the article and reflect on how implimenting a course like this
might help your students succeed as well. I especially liked the
student comments.

I wrote to Barbara asking for an update on her program. All of your
students are not going to be "great" artists (but they all have ideas
on how they want to make art).....all can appreciate art.

Enjoy the read.

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department