Re: [teacherartexchange] Third year blues or what?

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 12:09:22 PDT

Mike--I think you're dealing with a different breed of cats. I find
that the music students in this district are the top honors kids whose
parents were willing to shell out $1000 for an instrument and make them
practice and take them to band in 6th grade which here is at 7am. Many
of my students are really underprivledged in many ways and they lack the
courtesies and values that good parenting would provide.

>>> Occasm@aol.com 04/25/2005 1:10:39 PM >>>
Throwing this out to the list and maybe get responses to help cure
what's
ailing me.

We just had our yearly art show which I believe was done very
tastefully and
featured some very strong work from our district. My top students from
grades
8 and 9 did not show up to the show despite my usual ritual of
packaging up a
very nice custom made certificate and a show flyer in an envelope and
hand
delivering these during lunch.
   There was a State music contest going on the same day so we feared
we may
lose some but the ones I'm talking about were not tied up that day.
   This same problem, a lack of attendance from my stronger kids,
happened
last year as well. Also, it's not just my kids, but the other teachers'
as well.
   My question is this: I can't help but be a little peeved about
this, but
should I just chalk this up to their age and the times we live in. It
seems to
me that kids should treat this as an an honor but I guess some don't
see it
that way. Is this common, and if not what can I do about it.
   On a similiar note. I can't help but wonder about this music
contest. The
day after our show I heard students bantering excitedly about their
scores on
the state test/contest. This got me thinking. Why are these kids so
excited
about playing their instrument in a room with only a judge and nobody
else to
see or hear them perform but they're not excited about having their
artwork
displayed where a ton of community residents could see and enjoy it.
   I have to admit, I"m secretly a bit jealous of the music teachers.

Any thoughts on any of this ramble? Thanks for listening

Mike Sacco
Paul J. Gelinas JHS
Setauket, NY
www.myschoolonline.com/ny/gelinasartdept