RE: [teacherartexchange] Third year blues or what?

---------

From: The Ericksons (jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 06:27:28 PDT

Mike,
When I did a high school show I created a list of dozens and dozens of
responsibilities for the art show.
Examples:
hand calligraphy invitations for the Board and administrators
design the clay exhibit area (type of fabric, what to use to create heighth
etc)
do a layout of entire floor and wall area and decide what goes where
make directional signs
decorate refreshment table
be in charge of cookies for refreshment table
make punch
work refreshment table
stand at the door and welcome visitors
act as a docent and tour visitors thru
write up a review for the newspaper
act as a security person to prevent small children from touching
etc etc etc
As you can see the jobs vary from the simple to the complex and I try to
include all kinds of "talents". By the time I am finished EVERY SINGLE
student has some responsibility for the show. They also hang and display
all the work themselves. I am simply the "resource person" if they have a
problem.

I also have advanced students do an individual table with their own work.
They must design it, make all needed attributes including signage.

This approach has worked for me as the students do develop pride and
ownership. I actually had kids coming to me and apologizing because they
had to be out of town on the day of the show. It also increases
enrollment as the kids not involved see us all working together on the day
of the show and want to "sign up".

Hope this helps.
Cindy