Re: [teacherartexchange] Third year blues or what?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 05:29:32 PDT

Art Show Blues....

A lesson from Spongebob.

Kathy Douglas and Patty Knott both touched upon this.... Ownership of ideas.....

Here is the lesson from Spongebob Amy posted to TAB Choice list:

"I was watching Spongebob with my own kids tonight. There was an
episode about Squidward being an art teacher. Spongebob was the
student-and he was really creative until Squidward told him it was all
wrong and that he had to do it his way b/c he was the EXPERT! soooo
funny!"

Now, I did not see this...If fact I have never seen Spongebob.... But
maybe it is time to sit back and reflect on your program and look to
see what might be wrong. Maybe their way - the kids' way - is the best
way? Are we (art teachers) taking too much control over what the
finished product should look like?

I've been "talking" a lot with Marvin Bartel about what is "wrong"
with Incredible Art Department.... in a nut shell...too many
"recipes". It kind of takes the wind out of your sails.... but you sit
 back - reflect - and try to make changes. Right now - I guess I have
been doing too much "reflecting" because I haven't worked on any more
of the lesson plans since our "conversation"... I'll get back on track
soon...and yes, probably writing more "recipes" -- but I will be more
aware of the lessons they are teaching.

I will come back with some ways for Art Show Success soon.... Our way
worked for our district and it may for yours. It won't bring the high
school kids out in masses.... but you will get a hefty elementary and
middle school crowd.

Regards,

Judy Decker