[teacherartexchange] Maggie Tucker's Altered Books Bases (summary)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 19:15:03 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I am no longer sending out Maggie's altered book images. I will be
putting two on the lesson plan page on IAD right now. So far, no one
has sent any additional images for an Altered Book Gallery. I do have
some from the Round Robbins - and will get them online over the summer
- after they get their books back. I have been asked about starting
another Round Robbin... I think the best way to go would be a "Tip In"
(where you only send out pages - then you add them into your book) I
need to get together with Cynthia Gaub on that idea (watch for posts
in early June).

Maggie's Sculptural Base Summary:

From Maggie: I had students create a base. Since
this nine-weeks work is centered on three-dimensional work, I included very
little direction--I wanted them to use their own experiences with papier
mache, clay, wire, etc. Students were given 4 weeks to do this on
their own, with
their own supplies.

Basic instructions:

> Base for Altered Book Using your altered book theme, devise a
>stand/base for your book which allows the book to be flipped open and
>stable (You will supply the materials for this project)

Reflection:

Unfortunately, several of them used wooden easels (which I didn't
expect) If I were to do this again, I would talk about the advantages
and disadvantages of different materials. Most seemed unable to deal
with the subject "in the round."

From Judy:

My suggeston was to present this as a "mini shrine" - create something
of permanance - durable. Elevate the book somewhat. Maybe show just a
few altar pieces and shrine art. Perhaps make it an option to turn
this into a family project - a collaboration. Have the parents sign
how much they contributed to the project. I liked giving homework
assignments that were family projects. Have the students write about
how they worked together with mom/dad to make the stand. Students
should be cautioned though to not let mom or dad take over (don't want
them to have all the fun making the stand). I will always remember how
my dad I and I worked together to make projects. I learned a lot about
power tools in elementary from working with my dad.

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/