Re: [teacherartexchange] Third year blues or what?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 19:09:21 PDT

I think, sometimes our kids don't see the "honor" in art. I think they
have always been told everything they do is wonderful and sometimes
they question the wonder. I just entered some kids work in a big show
and what was selected left some "wonder." Kids want to please and
often in art they don't get to what pleases even when they knock
themselves out. Art should be self pleasing.
Sometimes I think music is so much easier to judge. Something played is
easy to hear if it doesn't sound good, even if it's an unfamiliar tune.
How many of the music kids are creating and composing their own music
for judging?
There are so many outlets for young people to find opportunities in
music. Perhaps we need an American Idol show for the visual artist .
Kids form bands they think they can be rock stars --- music is a
staple in their lives.
But the visual artist sees hardship-- the starving artist (my Ap
students have a running joke about living in a cardboard box fighting
the rats for food)
their idols are long dead they are not all over TV and the radio
and there are no i-pods for artists.
We do every thing we can to bring honor to their talents yet, I'm
afraid that art remains an elusive that too many say they don't
understand.
I have so many talented kids who try to convey the intention of their
work and yet they face the same questions I have always faced "I
don't get it?" "Can you explain...?"

The best we can do is make sure our art students have a stake in their
art making, that they feel a choice and an ownership in the expression.
If they have that then they will come to defend the questions. I ask
that my students act as "docents" at the show. They educate the viewers
better than I can and their pride is very evident. I tell them always
that the art show is about them - they design, execute and put it up
and it's their pride
and, in fact, my kids told me last year they didn't want ribbons
anymore. It's not a competition, it's an exhibition.

Patty