RE: [teacherartexchange] School Arts Article - World's Art in Your Art World

---------

From: Debbie Nicholas (Debbie.Nicholas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 12:25:59 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy Decker [mailto:judy.decker@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 12:15 PM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Subject: [teacherartexchange] School Arts Article - World's Art in Your
Art World

Greetings Art Educators,

Kris Fontes sent me a photocopy of the article "The World's Art in Your
Art World" -April 2005 (thank you School Arts for allowing her to do
this). The article was written by Hope Irvine - Art Education Department
at Syracuse University. National Standard covered: Students undersand
the visual arts in relation to history and culture.

This article will help you reflect on how you teach art from other
cultures. If you can not get your hands on a copy of School Arts April
2005 and would like to see the article, send me email OFF LIST (address
below) and I will send this copy your way. Include your snail mail
address.

From the article:

"Your challenge as the visual expert in your school is to increase
students' (and colleagues') ability to recognize works from other times
and places than their own, to enjoy the ways others make sense of their
visual world, and to value what artists have done and can do...."

In time.... I will look at all cultural lessons on Incredible art
Department and evaluate them keeping this article in mind.

Judy Decker
judy.decker@gmail.com

--
Incredible Art Department