[teacherartexchange] School Arts Article - World's Art in Your Art World

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 11:15:23 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Kris Fontes sent me a photocopy of the article "The World's Art in
Your Art World" -April 2005 (thank you School Arts for allowing her
to do this). The article was written by Hope Irvine - Art Education
Department at Syracuse University. National Standard covered: Students
undersand the visual arts in relation to history and culture.

This article will help you reflect on how you teach art from other
cultures. If you can not get your hands on a copy of School Arts April
2005 and would like to see the article, send me email OFF LIST
(address below) and I will send this copy your way. Include your snail
mail address.

From the article:

"Your challenge as the visual expert in your school is to increase
students' (and colleagues') ability to recognize works from other
times and places than their own, to enjoy the ways others make sense
of their visual world, and to value what artists have done and can
do...."

In time.... I will look at all cultural lessons on Incredible art
Department and evaluate them keeping this article in mind.

Judy Decker
judy.decker@gmail.com

--
Incredible Art Department