[teacherartexchange] painting lesson w/ pics - monochromatic (sort of)

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 08:53:48 PDT

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wendypaigefree/my_photos

go to "ehs mono architecture"

we looked at matisse's red studio and magritte's
listening room, personal values... had a hard time
finding good exs of mono works to show kids.
compositions were based on a photo of an architectural
interior or exterior that was simplified/abstracted
and also had a surreal element added. tempera paint
color schemes were mostly monochromatic with mixed
tints, shades, tones... wanted students to mix to get
a wide range from a basic starting color. "extra"
contrasting colors were included to highlight surreal
elements.

question to the group: anyone else have trouble with
tempera paint getting too wet and buckling paper?
solutions? thinking of painting only on board in the
future. would love to hear others' take on making
larger, detailed tempera pieces... also, what type of
brushes do kids like best for smoothest paint app. and
precise details? want painting to be as
non-frustrating as possible.

:D wendy free

http://mail.yahoo.com