[teacherartexchange] Reading and Art - Kindergarten

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 17:22:43 PDT

Greetings Deanna and all,

Making their own books encourages reading...Eventually
they will learn the words.

Here is a lesson for My Many Colored Days by Dr.
Seuss. I am certain he would like his words to be used
this way (smile):

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/early/Stephanie-book.htm

Another idea would be to make a book "About Me"...and
of coures make their own alphabet book. Parent
volunteers can help with the laminating and trimming
them out. This way ALL children have books to read. So
many "at risk" children do not have their own little
board books to help them learn to read. If I taught
kindergarten, I suppose I would shop all of the garage
sales looking for book bargains. I know we sold my
son's books very cheap (we did keep a few favorites).

Many list members have their kindergarteners make
books about the art elements, too...with some words
added to help them remember each one.

I think I will add an adaptation to this Textures
lesson myself:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/early/early-K.htm

Students will say what the texture looks like (how
they think it feels - describe it). Words will be
added to their textures. Then the textures will be
displayed on a wall with descriptions included. More
texture rubbings could be made for texture collage.

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/