[teacherartexchange] reading and art

---------

From: Deanna Lopez (deanna_lopez_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 15:38:49 PDT

Kindergarteners will tell me stories about their pictures and drawings and
paintings if I ask them. So, I try to take dictation, though getting around
to 25 pupils is not easy. They especially like when I type up their words on
the computer using a large font and print them out. Then I post their words
next to their art and they try to read what they said (or remember what they
said). They like naming their art too, which can be very entertaining to me
as the teacher. There is one very bright but socially young boy in my class
who enjoys thinking up appropos titles for his work, like "Dripping Night
Paint" and "Coloring Coloring". This is good for the parents to see too,
that art is important enough to display and label.

I will enjoy hearing some ideas other people have about art and reading and
writing. I will share ideas about dance in my next post, though I'm just
getting started with dance. But I've had some good luck with it.
Kindergarteners are always ready to give anything new a go. They are so cute
and open.

Thank you for welcoming me.
Deanna Lopez