[teacherartexchange] Judi Morgan's Monochromatic portrait lesson -middle school

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 08:05:44 PDT

Dear Teacher Art Exchange,

Judi's Monochromatic lesson does take a while to
download... it is a large file. I will be removing the
Word from the site tomorrow. I will put a temporary
html file on the site for those who could not open the
Word file. You will get her lesson "as is" - but
without the images.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Judi-mono.htm

I am putting a revised lesson on Incredible Art
Department. I have already "talked" with Judi about
the changes I am making (and will be doing so with her
approval).

Only "Getty Folks" know this lesson is available right
now. What Judi suggests - having students download an
image from the Internet and manipulate it is a
violation of copyright (unless she is using old
photographs in public domain). Judi will be revising
her lesson herself in the future to also include a
lesson in copyright with her students. What we claim
as "Fair Use" in an educational setting - isn't really
Fair Use (at times). I think it is important for us to
model correct use of copyrighted images (I will be
revising my own lessons online as well)

The revised lesson I put on Incredible Art Department
will suggest using a CD (or class folder on network)
of photographs of staff members who are willing to
help with the learning experience. In this case, the
person whose image is being used has given permission
- and the photographer has also given permission for
the images to be used. I will also have a suggestion
that omits the first step and has students begin
directly with their own photographs.

The primary focus of Judi's lesson is to develop
painting skills and mixing of values. Judi's lesson is
a great way to get realistic, accuate results (some
kids don't want to do portraits unless it really looks
like them - those kids will like the "realism" using
Judi's method). I'll also add some ideas for making it
more of a challenge (some of these have come from
Marvin Bartel and Linda Kieling - from previous Getty
ArtsEdNet Talk threads).

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department