Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Animals in Art - lots of photo resources

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 06:11:57 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Animals in art - is a popular theme with kids and many
historical examples can be found - from all cultures.
I did the theme of animals with my sixth graders and
tied it in with science (and various cultures around
the world). I used copyright free sources for the most
part (I know I had photocopied some pages from books-
shame on me). The goal was never to copy the picture
exactly though - but only use it for reference (often
we abstracted/simplified - and on occasion X-rayed).

David Dillard (Net Gold list) had compiled a list of
photograph resources for animals:

Some of these are copyright free. Check the copyright
statements on the sites.

Another source is Diversity Web - they WILL give you
permission to use photographs for this purpose if you
contact them. I did not get an answer from National
Zoo. Both Diversity Web and National Zoo allow
students to use images in reports and such - making a
"derived" art is another matter (Diversity Web will
give you images you can use). Both of these sources
are on my Art/Math/Science page:

Of course, it is best to work from imagination/memory,
from life, or your own photographs...but sometimes you
just might need that "illusive panda" (long story).

When I started researching copyright, I intended to
put a page on Incredible Art Department... Now I have
a mountain of material to wade through. I think using
copyrighted photographs is an issue that individual
teachers have to decide on their own (In talking with
some AP teachers, colleges are not allowing it). In
time, I will be adding copyright notes to all lessons
that used published images. All new lessons coming in
using copyrighted images will be edited before I put
them on Incredible Art Department. I'm curious if I
will get an answer from N.G. (magazine) - allowing us
to use their images for collage...will let you know
(copyright statement on their web site does NOT allow

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

Do You Yahoo!?