[teacherartexchange] ceramics - ages and emotions about breakage

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 21:26:18 PDT

I have a few more questions about kiln/ceramics issues.

What ages does everyone do ceramics with? I'm doing them with all classes this semester, and I've had a teacher/friend tell me I need to only do them with one older class, because the younger kids don't have the skills and the emotional stability to handle it if pieces break. Well, I think they can all learn skills, and besides, they love clay! But . . . I haven't fired pieces and dealt with talking to kids about pieces breaking or exploding. I do see it as a process art, but I'm interested in knowing how other teachers deal with the emotional subject of broken (or even missing?) pieces. Also, what are the best ways to prevent that from happening?

~ Kathleen