Re: [teacherartexchange] Information on NAEA site and Art Education Associations

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 20:54:21 PDT

NAEA is about helping Art Educators. Whether you are a member or not, their
info has always been available"to the public" .

Many organizations are not that generous.

    The Art Educators who are members pay dues to support the great work
that NAEA does on behalf of Art Educators. I would encourage any Art
Educator to become an ACTIVE member of this professional organization, and
your state's Art Education Association.
     NAEA members are out there doing research, promoting and encouraging
excellence in our field, lobbying on behalf of Art Education, providing
opportunities scholarhips and grants, and asking and answering the big
questions, assisting with the passing of National and State Arts Education
Standards.

In my opinion this is money well spent, not just window dressing. Nothing
comes to those who just sit there with an empty bag waiting for someone to
fill it.
As far as Advocacy of YOUR program, no one says it better that YOU do. No
one is going to fight for your rights with your school board or
administration if you are not willing to do that for yourself. If you have
to defend why your program should not be cut, go in there with solid
research on how Art Education benefits their students. Definitely show them
the numbers of Art students going on to further education in Art. Get your
student work out in the public, not just in your district buildings.
If no one funds and conducts the research... then what.

Christine Besack