Re: [teacherartexchange] Nancy's Rattles

---------

From: gail kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 20:05:15 PDT

we took a baseball sized chunck of clay, wedged it, rolled it into a perfect ball.
next we cut in half with a string and hollowed out inside saving clay bits into another ball covered in wet paper towels.
we rolled pea sized wads of clay into little "peas" and let them dry separately.
the two halves with walls about 1/4" thick were then scored and slipped and joined back together with the "peas" inside.
the outside was added to and carved into to create organic forms
this year there were several turtles, pigs, snakes wrapped around the ball, a hand holding the ball, wierd dragon thingys, etc.
there have to be some holes poked into the design somewhere or of course it will blow up. we used needle tools.
the kids loved them.
have fun!
nancy in north texas