[teacherartexchange] Art teacher as publicist

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 19:14:32 PDT

Patty is absolutely right to publicize the achievements of her
seniors. Art teachers may wish we did not have to take the time to
work at publicity, but very few people understand the benefits as
much as we do. Unfortunately, very few local journalists and
photojournalists are assigned to search out news in the arts as they
are in local sports.

Sometimes it only takes a phone call or an e-mail to the news desk of
the local paper and they will send out a reporter/photographer when
somebody receives an honor. Our paper often takes prepared news
releases with photos and prints them as news. If you are fortunate
to live in place where the paper has an art editor, or art writer,
you can get good coverage by contacting that person directly as soon
as possible when something good happens or when an exhibit is
planned. Many art writers are actively looking for stories, but
unless they are notified, they will miss them. When submitting
photos, most papers want the student in the photo more than they want
to see the artwork. Showing the student with the artwork or working
on the artwork makes it more interesting to most editors.

There are many ways to get a news story. One of our high school
ceramics teachers generally gets photo coverage about a pottery
marathon that his most advanced students do every year. They sell
the work and donate the funds to a charity. Publicity helps attract
students, better facilities, budgets for supplies, and serves to
protect the program when times get tough. In addition to stories
about current students who are accepted into good schools, people
also like to read about former students that have gone on to make
something of themselves - even if it is ten or more years out of high
school. Invite them back as visiting artists to show their work to
current students. Get a reporter to sit in on the visit. These make
great human interest stories and inspire current students.

Marvin