Re: [teacherartexchange] Gender differences - "Why Gender Matters:"

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 19:01:11 PDT

dkj wrote:
> On another Yahoo list I'm on there has been discussion of a book by Dr.
> Leonard Sax, (short title - "Why Gender Matters:".
> The book analyzes brain differences and organization

I raised the issue in grad school and got shot down by all the
other students in class (all female). My point was that if
there was truly a difference then we should be aware of it
inorder to help students learn.

But, in my 27 years of teaching Middle school students, I
really could not find any discernible difference in ability
to learn art skills. They is so much variety in styles and
abilities but I would not tie it to sex. I had excellent,
average and problem learners in each group. Girls are quieter
and seem to pay better attention than boys, but both can excel.
Girls tend to smell better as well, but you grow to tolerate
some grubby boys too.

I think research needs to be done but just reading a book or
a related article can cause problems. I little knowledge can be
a dangerous thing if applied without caution. I think we are
safer just teaching our students as they come to us. There are
plenty of differences among them. We adjust our teaching to
accommodate each individual.
                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque