[teacherartexchange] Recognizing seniors part 2

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 17:52:43 PDT

Last night I wrote about recognizing my seniors and I had an idea.
... Each month our local paper features a full page student showcase of
art and writing. We rotate among all our schools K-12. The high school
always does it twice a year. I am suggesting that in June we showcase
the students going into the arts.. visual, music, theater.. especially
those getting scholarships to great schools. ... a picture of the kid,
and an artist statement and especially if they can say how their public
school education influenced their progress and choices.
Getting accepted to RISD is like getting accepted to an Ivy league
school and I want the public to know that. I have kids going to Pratt,
Mass Art, Tyler, Maryland, Kansas City, and RISD, kids that are
accepted at many other great schools and selecting.
I want the public to know that my kids that get scholarships to great
art schools is just as much a "wow" as the athlete being recruited by a
Divison 1 school.
I'm lucky to have a local paper that gives a page a month to the arts.
I'll say again, advocacy only happens within your community awareness.
When it comes down to budget battles and school board decisions, they
don't care about NAEA or lofty claims or any of the experts you can
quote from.
Show them the results.
Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net