Re: [teacherartexchange] Gender diversity in elementary art ed?

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 12:41:10 PDT

When I taught 7th graders there was no question that the boys were more
right brained and better at drawing-etc. --their left brains weren't as
well developed (or immature as we call it). I was quite surprised since
most of my college classes were full of girls. The girls really liked
art, but they just didn't get it like the boys. No real information,
just observation.

>>> crobbins_brady@yahoo.com 04/20/2005 7:37:53 AM >>>
I have been invited to write a chapter for an upcoming textbook on art
education. One of the topics my publisher wants me to cover is "Gender
Diversity" as it relates to boys and girls in K-6 grades.

Is there really a difference in how boys and girls develop in art? I
see more differences in my students by their own particular ability and
experience with media, not in typical gender differences. I know my son
didn't gain fine motor skills until later, and girls in his Kindergarten
and first grade class seemed to be able to do this earlier than the
boys...but that was 20 years ago and maybe he is not "typical" of the
stereotype my publisher is suggesting. I couldn't find any references
to gender diversity in young children's art development on the
Internet.

Could someone please address this? (Am I opening a 'can of worms'??)

Connie (in Western Colorado)