Re: [teacherartexchange] Scholastics' article in NYTIMES

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 12:37:54 PDT

I think that the 50,000 were the golds that were judged for the scholarship money. Somewhere they said that there were 200,000 art entries!! I need someone who has attended the awards presentation in New York City to contact me--I had a student who got an American Visions Award last year and we didn't go, and this year I have a silver key winner in sculpture and I'd like to consider going, but I have a lot of questions. Sid

>>> arttucker@earthlink.net 04/20/2005 7:23:06 AM >>>
I thought this was extremely interesting. For those of you who do Scholastics and didn't get the e-mail, check out this article. One fact I find hard to believe is Scholastics claims there are only 50,000 art entries. It would seem to me that perhaps they are talking about silver/gold medal finalists?

From their press release:

Today's Arts Section of The New York Times features a front page article about the Alliance and The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. We want to bring to your attention this in-depth perspective which not only honors this year's national award recipients, but also addresses the current and historical impact of the program on American teenagers.

The link to The New York Times article (site registration required) is below, followed by yesterday's press release announcing this yearâ€*s national recipients.

 http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/19/books/19scho.html

erhaps they are talking about silver/gold medal finalists?