[teacherartexchange] Gender diversity in elementary art ed?

---------

From: Connie (crobbins_brady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 07:37:53 PDT

I have been invited to write a chapter for an upcoming textbook on art education. One of the topics my publisher wants me to cover is "Gender Diversity" as it relates to boys and girls in K-6 grades.

Is there really a difference in how boys and girls develop in art? I see more differences in my students by their own particular ability and experience with media, not in typical gender differences. I know my son didn't gain fine motor skills until later, and girls in his Kindergarten and first grade class seemed to be able to do this earlier than the boys...but that was 20 years ago and maybe he is not "typical" of the stereotype my publisher is suggesting. I couldn't find any references to gender diversity in young children's art development on the Internet.

Could someone please address this? (Am I opening a 'can of worms'??)

Connie (in Western Colorado)