[teacherartexchange] Plagiarism/Copyright - use of published photographs - a response

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 20:03:47 PDT

Dear Art Educator,

I had posted my question to the AP list - and it
finally showed up. I got a response from a couple list
members. I think everyone using published photographs
should teach a little about copyright - and Fair Use.
Actually, making a "derived" work from a published
photograph doesn't fall under Fair Use (if one follows
the letter of the law). There is no allowance that if
you make so many changes it is OK (it just makes it
easier for you to get by with it)

From Pam Lynch, Director of Art, Oneida City Schools,
Oneida, NY

I am a member of the AP Studio in art mailing group
and saw your request for info about plagiarism and how
to handle the issue as an art teacher...No
one creates in a vacuum...I make that point several
times a semester...however, our department is
adamantly opposed to students using visual images
found in any media source including internet
searches...without their selecting, recomposing,
altering dramatically, etc. the portion of the image
they find in order to create something individual
from the reference. The best subject matter comes
from observation of real things, scenes, people, etc.
If a particular image is needed for information, to
add realism to an animal, stimulation for a thematic
piece, etc. then all artists, including students in
high schools, must seek the information from other
sources. We are careful to monitor the searching
and have students attach any visual information they
obtain to the back of the piece so that we can see how
it was changed, manipulated, etc. Students
are told to seek copyright free imagery, first.The
hierarchy we use is 1. From life
                    2. From personal photo
                    3. From copyright free imagery

ALTER, ALTER,ALTER...

Obviously, you would never propose to send in to a
Scholastics Art Competition or include in an AP
Portfolio any works based on famous celebrities, etc.
Plagiarism is a topic that should be addressed in the
art classroom.
---------------------------------------

I will eventually put a page on Incredible Art
Department. I am waiting to hear back from Chris (Art
Education list) after her school committee finishes
their guidelines for issues relating to visual art.

I Posted a lot on this topic on Art Education and
ArtsEducators lists. If anyone wants my "wanderings"
-sign up and browse the archives. I have way too much
info now to forward.

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department