[teacherartexchange] recognizing seniors

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 15:05:17 PDT

Today I was telling my friend, who is a phys ed teacher, about one of
my students who is getting a hefty art scholarship based on merit to a
major art school. She said, "that should be in the papers the same way
the football players getting scholarships to Division 1 schools is
broadcast and boasted about."
and I thought "wow, I've never done this." So I'm going to call the
local paper. They may or may not respond, but I'll try.
Our advocacy begins with our student's achievements. We can only
advocate and fight for our programs from what each of us knows is being
accomplished within our small communities. So many of my kids have gone
on to great schools and great careers. I'm going to concentrate on that
instead of glossy statements from organizations that I have little to
do with. None of us can prove that art makes you smarter. But we can
show that through the rigor and discipline of our programs we help to
get kids onto a path.
Football players last to maybe 30 years old (if they are lucky) ....
Artists last forever.

Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net