[teacherartexchange] posting to Getty

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 12:03:39 PDT

Thanks Judy for signing me on, I have no idea why I couldn't do it myself.
We started testing this week, so our schedule is a little off - I had my 7th
graders do a simple project with the time we had remaining (I have them for
6 weeks at a time).

Thumbing through a magazine I saw a piece of artwork that I adapted for my
classroom.

We had been doing contour drawings - I had them prepare a piece of cardboard
by gluing torn newspaper pieces down (with a watered-down glue) - they used
a small plastic animal to come up with a drawing, used black crayon to draw
the contour line. Then used a dark acrylic wash on the negative space. The
print/images of the newspaper gave a nice texture - the wash let the print
show through - a nice little lesson on contour drawing and negative space -

Ellen in KY