Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Portraits with Attitude (HS) - more portrait ideas

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 08:39:52 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

A while back, Julie Sawyer shared her successes with a
lesson on near life size self portraits. Students
tackled this assignment with great enthusiasm.

Julie shared some wonderful in-progress photos with me
(for my eyes only). I now have some finished ones on
the Self Portrait page:
(click middle school - high school link or scroll

If you have done successful self portrait/identity
lessons you would like to share, send them my way and
I will add them. I still need to get Mark Anderson's
"Movable Murals" - Middle school portraits added -
combining painting with collage - VERY impressive. His
were life size figures on corrugated cardboard -
figure cut-outs.

Jeryl's collage self portraits for elementary have
been added, too. NAEA Conference goers, this is one
way you can share your experiences. Jeryl has shown
how she used a lesson idea she got from the conference
(the teacher who presented is given credit). Actual
handouts from NAEA can not be put on Incredible Art
Department (without permission of the presenter).
IDEAS can be put on IAD. Keep the "sharing spirit"
alive by giving credit to your source (when you know

Judy Decker
jdecker4art at

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources