[teacherartexchange] Lakota Winter Counts - Informative site - plus Renaissance exhibit

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 08:01:10 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I got side tracked last week and didn't get this
excellent site shared. I would be willing to
"brainstorm" with you off list on ways to use this
with students (using "authentic" materials - not just
making pretend animal hides on grocery bags).

9. Lakota Winter Counts [Macromedia Flash Player]
http://wintercounts.si.edu/

Different human societies across the millennia have
sought to record their histories in a multitude of
ways, and the Lakota people of the Northern
Plains elected to record their experiences through
what are known as winter counts. These winter counts
are essentially histories or calendars in which
events are recorded by pictures, with one picture for
each year. These rather fascinating documents were
used in conjunction with extensive oral
histories, and as such, most of these events were
widely known and recognized by a majority of the
Lakota. This particular website from the
National Anthropological Archives at the Smithsonian
National Museum of Natural History allows visitors to
view these winter counts, learn more about the Lakota,
and view interviews with contemporary Lakota people
about the winter counts. The site also contains an
audio glossary and a number of
helpful resources for educators. [KMG] (copied here
with permission).

I do know that the Lakota (many of them) are indeed
offended by our "paper bag" art mimicking their
culture. I do have an idea that would not offend. This
site will be linked on my America's Diversity page
(Native American resources).

Here is a Renaissance Exhibit of interest.

11. From Filippo Lippi to Piero della Francesca: Fra
Carnevale and the Making of a Renaissance Master
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Carnevale/

This special Web feature from the Metropolitan Museum
centers around two fifteenth century paintings
acquired by two US museums (the Metropolitan and
the Museum of Fine Arts Boston) from the Barberini
Collection in Rome in the 1930s, that have puzzled
scholars for more than a century, and have only
recently been identified as the work of Giovanni di
Bartolomeo Corradini of Urbino, also known as Fra
Carnevale. In addition to investigating the
mystery of Fra Carnevale, the Web feature also
examines the concepts of artistic identity, in
contrast with the Renaissance practice of artworks
that issue from the studio of a named artist, that are
actually the work of many unnamed artists. To do this,
the feature is divided into three
sections: "Filippo Lippi", 29 works by Lippi and
others trained in his workshop; "An Alternative
Vision", seven paintings by artists working within
the studio system, but, similar to Fra Carnevale's
works, containing unusual elements; and "The Mystery
of Fra Carnevale", including the two panels, most
likely parts of Fra Carnevale's altarpiece for Santa
Maria della Bella in Urbino, "The Birth of the Virgin"
and "The Presentation of the Virgin
in the Temple", done in what has come to be recognized
as Fra Carnevale's style-paintings so full of
architectural details that the figures seem
incidental to the architecture. [DS] (copied here with
permission)

I won't be linking this exhibit - but thought I would
share it with you.

To subscribe to the Scout Report in text or HTML
format, go to:
http://scout.wisc.edu/About/subscribe.php

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout
Project 1994-2005.