Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Organic Form in Clay - Sculpture

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 05:37:54 PDT

Marsha and all,

Here is a lesson plan for Organic Form in Clay.
Student abstract a natural object (shell, seed pod,
I'd love to see the finished works for this lesson. I
will try to contact Maria (I don't think she is a
member of any of the list serves).

I wrote this plan using her samples - this was a case
of "like minds" - I did this same lesson with my
advanced ceramics students. My advanced class was
presented with themes/ideas - they chose the methods.
The "body forms" (functional/sculpture piece) was also
an advanced lesson.

Another advanced project was a collaborative work.
There were three students in each group. They each had
to make a piece that would stand alone as a work in
itself - but would be part of the group when assembled
together. All of these works were functional/sculpture
ceramics. I can give you more details on this if

I wrote to Joe and Cindi about the ceramic bust
sculpture. Cindi will be submitting her lesson soon.
Hers was for beginning students and I think Joe's was
more for advanced students. I should have the
sculpture book back again in a couple of weeks if you
would like to see it (email me off list).

Some other ideas I have seen high school students do:
Storytellers (on a larger scale thank lesson on IAD)
Rattles (making a grouping of three)

Here are some functiona/sculptural Japanese Lanterns
from Judie Jacobs:

I'd love to see you develop anyone of these ideas into
a lesson to use with your students - then share back
with all of us on Incredible Art Department.

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker
jdecker4art at

Incredible Art Department