RE:[teacherartexchange] stretched canvas for watercolors

---------

From: LarrySeiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 05:36:45 PDT

>I have used white glue thinned in water to adhere watercolor onto canvas.
>It will take layers and be there when you are finished. It helps in
>preserving the light fastness.

Ken Schwab
- - -

In essence..adding glue to watercolor is a bit like painting with acrylics I
would think. I find that interesting.

I used to mess with mixing egg yolks with watercolor once...trying a version
of the egg tempera method.

Back to acrylics, polymer as a clear acrylic is a type of adherent or glue
as well, (so again similiar to this glue idea with watercolor) and having a
gluing property to it I often use medium to glue canvas to masonite boards.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/532/110/

Acrylics too...can be used quite thinly with water to build up an image. In
fact, it can be fun to teach a version of the traditional versaccio or
grisalle method of a black and white underpainting in acryilcs...then going
over with thin acrylic washes to color it. For anyone interested in that, I
sat down with my son a couple Christmases ago at the kitchen table who
wanted me to help him get a handle on acrylics. He was somewhat a master of
watercolors at that time....I have a thread link here that shows that demo,
and the process for anyone interested-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174514

Larry Seiler
My artist website-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

Visit my own artist's helps and demo forum!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

Signature member of NAPPAP- "National Academy of Professional Plein Air
Painters"
http://nappap.org

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm!"
Winston Churchill