Re:[teacherartexchange] Is there interest in a Bookmaking Ideas page?

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 02:31:32 PDT

Yes - high interest here. I am teaching two summer school bookmaking classes, one for 1 - 3 grades and another for 4 - 7 grades. It's also a personal interest of mine.

Not sure quite where to begin sharing tips . . . craft sticks can be used in place of bone folders for creasing folds. Make sure to cut inside book pages slightly smaller than the cover size. For accordian books, it helps to tell students to glue the inside pages so the accordian fold that is attached to the cover is stuck down close to what would be the spine side of the cover (I don't quite know how to word that). If you are using a ribbon or something to tie the accordian book closed, remind students that it's glued on the back cover and tied in the front (For some reason, several in each class like to glue it to the front and then are disappointed that the back of their book is now the front). Remember that a regular sized hole punch will be too large to use with brad fasteners. Get an awl or something like that for punching holes.

There are so many different styles of books to do. Try a variety and you'll discover that many are applicable to teaching children. Students love making books!

~ Kathleen