[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Sculpture Ideas for high school

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 18:26:56 PDT

Greetings Marsha and all,

In addition to the ideas I already sent to you....

One of my most successful/most meaningful ceramic
projects was personal shrines. These were slab boxes
as a general form with doors cut into the face that
opened. A mirror was glued to the back inside wall. We
used a variety of methods to hinge on the doors.

The Facade of the box was architectural in nature
(front face extended above the top of box and beyond
sides). Students made clay objects representing
self/treasures for inside the box.

Our inspiration was the retablos from Peru. I had a
small one (about 5" x 7") to show them.

One year we made vessels inspired by the human form.
Those came out kind of neat. Coil built.

I had a coworker who did carnival masks very similar
to the Leather masks on Artsonia site below. Students
draped clay over plaster humps.

One very neat project an area high school did was
inspired by the Taj Mahal in India....again these were
personal shrines. I wish I had taken pictures of them
- some VERY interesting work was made.

Here is an Artsonia site for Del Mar High School
San Jose, CA teacher by Christina Salinas.
You will find some very nice clay cultural masks. Be
sure to check previous years, too.

She also has ceramic castles and some very interesting
Ceramic Kimonos. Check last year for more examples

Vivian Komando submitted a ceramic sculpture lesson to
IAD - based on the work of Kandinsky:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/vivian.htm

Regards,

Judy Decker