[teacherartexchange] Is there interest in a Bookmaking Ideas page? (added to IAD)

---------

From: Anonymous (teacherartexchange_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:37:30 PDT

Greetings Teacher Art Exchange,

Randy M. (from Maine) started a thread on
ArtsEducators list during the down time....

From Randy: This week I am creating accordion books
with all beginning art students. I thought I would
start a new thread about books and lovely tricks of
the trade. There are two ways I introduce books

1. Illustrate the story of your life in 4-6 images.
Important moves, events, people.

2. Create a morphing drawing in 5-7 panels. Select
two objects/things places ( we spend more time in
images) and through a series or steps have one shift
shape to the other. The added twist is a controlled
light source so there is a three-d quality. They get a
separate rubric for the accordion and the cover.

Cover is either two piece or two piece with hinge. The
paste paper is of course for the cover embellishment.
After years of using messy homemade
paste formulas, I started buying finger paint. If I
don't have finger paint, I use cellulose wall paper
paste mixed fairly thick, than add color
to it.
------------------------------------

Randy gave me permission to use her ideas on the
page....The topic got very little response on
ArtsEducators. If Folks here would like to see a page
develop - Post your bookmaking ideas. I will collect
them and ask you later for images. Please give me your
email addresses (either by Bcc'ing post to me or added
to your signature)

I do have Jude Grochowski's photo book lesson on
Incredible Art Department. You will find a book lesson
for early childhood as well on color. Coming soon
(this summer) will be a lesson on teaching the
elements to middle school students through making of a
book (from Cynthia Gaub - now a Choice Based Art
Teacher)

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department