[teacherartexchange] Great idea Woody - page on influentual artists from state

---------

From: Anonymous (teacherartexchange_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 15:26:14 PDT

Greetings Woody,

Thanks for reminding me of my "to do" list. I meant to
work on a page for influentual artists from Ohio. I'll
get around to it sometime. I will browse your page
some more...looks good.

I am afraid though now many schools are making pages
like yours almost an impossibility (as far as using
images found online). I have been lurking on other
lists whose members must have documented "permission
to use images" from web sites AND they are also
required to obtain "permission to link"
emails/letters.

Teachers and students are only allowed to use images
on a school web site that are in public domain (as
many of the ones on your page may very well be)- or if
they have acquired written permission to use - even
though for educational purposes. My old way of getting
permission wouldn't hold water today. I sent out
"reply if it is NOT OK" emails (and kept track of
them)since I rarely could get an answer the right way.
I no longer have the "permission to use" emails for
images on my site... so I added a blub to my page
(like Georgia O'Keeffe):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/okeeffe.htm

I know even some members on this list have said they
have to get "Permission to link" before links can be
added to a school site. I certainly hope "permission
to link" doesn't happen - there are some "higher ups"
pushing for that. I believe it may already be a law in
Canada? Not sure. This was a recent topic on Ed Tech
list. "Permission to link" will be the end to sites
like Incredible Art Department.

I did actually have an artist find that I used one of
his images for a background (watermarked) for one of
my pages. He said I could continue to use the image. I
apologized for my error. I suppose he found it while
searching for links to his site.

In the "real world", the worst that will happen is
first, the copyright holder will ask the image to be
removed. If the image is not removed in a timely
matter, then the copyright holder can take further
action. I seriously doubt anyone would go after a
school site - but one never knows. Administrators are
forcing teachers to error on the side of caution
though.

Sign me "All for Fair Use for ALL educational
non-commercial purposes."

Judy Decker
jdecker4art at yahoo.com

Incredible Art Department