Re:[teacherartexchange] lesson plan + pix: creatures of culture from wendy free

---------

From: Anonymous (teacherartexchange_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 12:02:00 PDT

Wendy and all,

This can be a good lesson in copyright, too. Teaching
proper ways to research for images and credit sources
of images (in sketches and planning)- using them only
as reference - as a spring board - and not copying.

I will add a lesson in copyright to this lesson plan
when I get it added to Incredible Art Department.

Everything (or nearly everything) we do using
photographs and published images would be acceptable
under "Fair Use" policies (for in school - education
purposes - etc). However in the "real world" some of
the things we do won't pass legal muster for the
practicing artist. I believe we need to teach students
more how to behave like a real artist - coming up with
their own ideas rather than copying an image.

I won't go more into the letter of the law here as I
dealt with that in great detail on the Yahoo lists.
All I will say is that legally you can not use a
published/copyrighted work to make a "derived" work
with out permission of the original copyright holder.
Believe me, getting permission to use a photograph is
next to impossible.

Wendy's lesson uses images which could be considered
in public domain (for the most part - for creatures
that I recognized) - What her students have done with
them has no similarity to any published images of them
I have seen. These students have made them their own.
No copyright infringement could be claimed.

I am wondering if Lichtenstein could get away with
what he did in today's "copyright" world?

Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful lessons
Wendy!

Judy Decker
jdecker4art at yahoo.com

Incredible Art Department