[teacherartexchange] Concept of "Time" in art - please reply to Judy D off list

---------

From: Anonymous (teacherartexchange_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 07:40:02 PDT

Dear Teacher Art Exchange Member,

I have been mulling over the concept of "time" in art
to respond to you...I intended to read your post from
the archives (I was able to access them last night -
but today the archives for April are gone). I don't
even remember what grade level you were interested in.

Here are some ideas....

Art History Timeline. Show how the events of the times
influenced the art. You could work interdisciplinary
with social studies. Make a timeline that travels
through out the hallways and continues to grow as
student do more research.

Art that is temporary - that changes through time.
Look at the earth art of Goldsworthy and others. Look
at the work of Christo.

Look at the work of Monet - how he captured times of
the day. Haystacks - the Cathedral and more. Look at
the huge paintings of waterlilies. One can not take
those all in from one view. They are displayed moving
around the walls.

Look at works with the theme of time. Salvador Dali:
Persistence of Memory (and other works).

How about looking at some famous/popular quotes about
"time" and depicting those through visual art - "Time
heals all wounds" - Maybe even doing somthing Barbara
Kruger inspired with this idea using black and white
photographs and text (students can use photographs
found online - but copyright laws may prevent you from
displaying them on a school web site - check your
sources of photographs "Fair Use" policy or use only
those in public domain)

What about something about storytelling?

If you want more from me - email me off list. I have
more ideas but need your grade level focus. There are
many more works of art dealing with concept of
time/temporal element.

I will not post a click and go email address. I lost
two addresses in the past as they got spoofed and were
sending virus emails. So put the address together that
I included below using the @ sign. If you know my Road
Runner address, you may use that as well. Note to all:
if you DO receive a virus from that jdecker4art
address - just delete it. I didn't send it. My address
is still in Getty archives in my signature and all
throughout Incredible Art Department.

Regards,

Judy Decker
jdecker4art at yahoo.com